Wednesday, March 25, 2009

One of Many Reasons Americans are Overweight....

The Class A West Michigan Whitecaps have come up with possibly the most unhealthy ballpark food item in baseball history: the Fifth Third Burger.Named after the bank that sponsors the team, the Fifth Third features 26.7 ounces (five-thirds pounds) of beef, lettuce, tomato, salsa, sour cream, chili and Fritos on an 8-inch sesame seed bun. Total calories: 4,889.The burger costs $20, but the team points out it feeds one to four. A single fan who finishes the burger in one sitting will receive a Fifth Third Burger T-shirt.Mickey Graham, the team's director of marketing, told CNBC he thinks some fans will show up just for the feeding: "We've had people come just for dinner. We take our food pretty seriously."

Its simply unreal to me how I'm sure many people will be tempted to try to scarf down this burger to win a darn t-shirt...or simply because it sounds good to them. Never mind the 5000 calories they'll be consuming! At a time when you can look around our country and see so many overweight people, it annoys me to see businesses coming up with this sort of thing. Heck, even if four people split it, they'd each be consuming nearly 1250 calories.

6 comments:

JC said...

WOW!! Now that is a burger I would not even be tempted to try. It sounds worst than the breakfast sandwich I saw advertised at the quick mart the last time I bought gas. Eggs, cheese, and sausage between two donuts. Doesn't that make you want to gag?

I just came to visit from another site when I saw your title on their sidebar. Congrats on your accomplishment. There is hope for me but I've been at this for over two years but I need to lose over half of myself. I love to find site of people who are success in this journey.

jo said...

Well, you can police yourself, but not others. (Well, I would police my husband in that case. In his younger years, he may have done that. And he's not fat.)

It bothers me that companies come up with these stupid contests as well.

Didn't someone just die in a hot dog eating contest?

I will admit when I read Freetos, my mouth watered. I haven't had those in a very long time, and when I read the word, I instantly wanted some Freetos. lol

Now off to grill my 93% 3-ounce burger!

jo said...

FRITOS

I can't spell!!!!! lol Good grief!

Lost Half of Me said...

I agree JC...not even tempted! And your breakfast sandwich, oh my goodness. The sad thing is there are people eating it! Thanks for the congrats. Keep up with your own journey and you will succeed. Everyone's journey progresses differently but with determination and will power we all end up at the same place- GOAL!

Jo, I didn't hear about a death from a hot dog contest but it wouldnt' surprise me at all. Like you, I do enjoy Fritos and have them occasionally, but on that burger they didn't even sound good. lol

new*me said...

i could have eaten that a year ago for sure. What a health hazard!

Karyn said...

The amazing thing is that this kind of advertising and promos work because there are enough people who will actually consume that 5000 calories to win the cheap t shirt.